2nd Time Around – A Birth Story

March 9, 2011 BG2, Parenting 7

So it’s roughly around 1:30 am on Wednesday, March 2nd and I get up to go to the bathroom, per my usual routine at night, being pregnant and all. I start to notice a “crampy” feeling in my belly, but I chalk it up to Braxton Hicks contractions since those have been going on for forever. I try to get back into bed, only to find that these contractions continue on and really start to bug me. I sit up in bed for awhile trying to just breathe through it and drink some water but then the contractions started to come like every 5-6 minutes and got really intense. Even though I didn’t think it was a the real thing just yet, just to be on the safe side, I finished packing my hospital bag and gathered all my things. I took a shower and did some other things, by then it was around 3:30 am and the contractions were still about 5-6 minutes apart, but getting more painful, so I decided to call my OB to see if I needed to go to the hospital. He, groggily (haha), agreed that I should go to the hospital, it looked like it was time for the baby to come! While on the phone, The Hubbi heard me say something about contractions and he startled awake and went to check on me, haha. I told him, “it’s time” and he quickly got dressed and did what he had to do to get ready (he seemed a little nervous and was still a little tired, haha).

We got into the car and flew to my mother’s house to grab her, who wanted to be there to help with the birth, which was like 20 minutes away, but we got there in like 10 minutes since it was the dead of night. It took a few tries to reach her on the phone though, which worried me a bit, but we managed to get through and alert her that the baby was coming. After we got her it was only another 10 minute drive to the hospital and we got through and right up to the maternity ward. The contractions were still coming on strong, but my mom was there to help ease the pain on my back and I was breathing through them like a champ. After we checked in, which took forever, they put me in triage to check and monitor everything and by then the contractions were coming a couple of minutes and quite a bit stronger I might add. The triage nurse tried to start up an IV for me, but after pricking me twice and getting nothing, she decided to leave it to another, more experienced nurse (I hate it when that happens). I swear the nurses need to get on track with that stuff! Not only do the pick the worse spots to start an IV (like the hand or wrist), they go in and then move the needle around to try and find the vein several times which hurts like hell, granted my arms and hands were swollen, but still!

The On-Call doctor came in and checked me, noting that I was about 8-9 cm dilated with a bulging bag, they quickly rushed me to the delivery room. It was a blur of people going in and out of the room setting things up and getting everything ready. When my doctor finally came in he checked me, stating that I was only 7-8 cm dilated, broke my water, and told the nurses he’d be “in the back” waiting for when it was time, haha. I know it was the dead of night, so I don’t blame him, as long as he got the job done right.

Now the pain really got outta hand. It was about 5:00 am and I had to suffer through dreadful contractions and the constant urge to push for a few hours, with the nurses periodically checking up on me and seeing if I was ready. Yes, I’m an all-natural kind of girl so I denied an epidural, several times, and it was too late for any regular pain meds anyways so I breathed on through. My mom was ready at the side, trying to help me ease the pain and talk me through it while The Hubbi held my hand and took the pain, haha. When asked, he would say I sounded like I was possessed breathing through those contractions (I’d like to see him try and go through it and hear how he sounds!).

Finally, at around 7′ something, I was at 10 cm. It took quite a while for the baby’s head to get really down into the birth canal and for my cervix to open up enough to push so that was grueling. The doctor came back in, a bit refreshed and ready to deliver my baby. I liked the set up they had in there, all the nurses getting everything ready and pulling stirrups and handles from out of nowhere, and then it was time to push. My mom said I turned beet-red trying to push BG2 out, but unlike BG1, her head didn’t get stuck and I managed to push her head out rather quickly and giving a final push and a helpful pull from the doctor, at 7:20 am, she was out!

IMG_0055 IMG_0065

Well, was I, and the rest of the room, surprised to see how big BG2 was. A nice head full of hair and enough rolls to go around, she weighed in at 8 lbs, 14 oz. (guess I was a big preggo for a reason, haha). The Hubbi cut the umbilical cord and went around taking pictures, of course, while I laid there, exhausted (I don’t know how some women have all that energy after labor!), as the doctor pulled out the placenta and sewed me up (from what I hear, he had to make a pretty big cut to get the baby out, so yes, I’m still healing from that), which hurt like hell. After they got her a bit cleaned up and did what they had to I held her for a bit and saw my precious little Baby Girl, so beautiful and perfect, I couldn’t be more happy.

IMG_0073 IMG_0059 IMG_01172

The recovery period wasn’t too bad, we got a pretty decent sized room, the one we saw on our tour actually, and the nursing staff was very nice and helpful. At times they were a bit slow, but there’s only so much they can handle, so I didn’t blame them. The doctors made their rounds with me too, I managed to see 3 of my 4 doctors, as well as both of BG2’s new Pediatricians, all of whom were bright and cheerful to see me and equally surprised about BG2’s weight. Honestly, I think everyone was, considering I’m such a small person, haha, but I love it, and her. I was hoping for an 8 lb baby and I got more than that so how much more can I ask for? Friends came to visit and my mom brought food, so it was a whirlwind of happy times. The Hubbi stayed with me and helped with the baby when it could, you could see the joy and excitement in his eyes every time he saw BG2.

IMG_0089 IMG_0105 IMG_0115

We went home two days later, both with a clean bill of health, although BG2 had a bit of physiological jaundice, everything else looked great. Oh, and before we left, we managed to take some very adorable, albeit expensive, newborn pictures from the photography people at the hospital that I can’t wait to show everyone.


So that’s the story. BG2 is doing great, her jaundice is clearing up (thanks to some at-home photo therapy), bilirubin levels are low, and she’s eating and pooping just fine. I’m recovering well too, still a little sore at the episiotomy area, but that’s expected, so hopefully I’ll get better quick. I’m just enjoying taking care of my precious bundle while I can. I honestly can’t stop staring at her, my lovely, sweet, adorable Alea Nguyen.

Never Miss a Post from Me!
Enter your email address and click on the Get Instant Access button.
We respect your privacy

You Might Also Like:

7 Responses to “2nd Time Around – A Birth Story”

  1. Praising Mom

    Congrats… I'm getting excited to have mine! I am featuring Birth stories on my blog. Let me know if you want to share yours! 🙂


  2. Rox Rsvp

    Oh brings back great memories, and makes me want to cross my legs tightly. Congrat's

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge