I finally got a chance to visit the local Indie bookstore in/around Detroit, which is Schuler’s Books & Music in Lansing. It’s a very nice, big book store with a cute cafe and friendly staff. I could definitely see myself spending countless hours there.
Anyways, I was able to attend Richelle Mead’s launch for her latest novel The Golden Lily, which is the second book in the Bloodlines series. It was a pretty huge crowd and the event latest well over 3 hours!
Now I haven’t personally read any of Richelle’s books, I know, I should be ashamed. But I’ve heard wonderful things about them, especially The Vampire Academy series, and seriously, it’s on the list! The big thing was that my BFF is a huge fan of Richelle, so naturally I had to take this opportunity to meet her and get some books signed.
Richelle is such a doll and so pretty too. Her mother even stopped by for the event, since Richelle is from MI, so that was pretty sweet. She started out by reading a funny excerpt (she likes reading those as opposed to the romantic ones) from The Golden Lily and answered a ton of questions from fans like:
– She calls her carbonated drinks POP instead of SODA because that’s how they do it in the Midwest (a fact I recently learned when I bought some soda and the cashier called it pop, lol)
– She outlines extensively and treats writing like a real 9-5 job and she turns in a 1st draft roughly every 9 months
– She’s working on an Adult Sci-Fi series right now
– There will be SIX books in the Bloodlines series
– Fav authors include Mary Ann Zimmer, Margaret Weiss, George RR Martin
Another thing to note is, if she’s touring near you, be sure to bring your ereader because she’s got a special treat for those who do!
Richelle was very sweet and loved that I was there for my friend, getting her books signed. It’s actually a gift for her birthday, and she knows it! I wish I had more to say to her, but I didn’t want to sound totally clueless since I hadn’t read her series yet! But I did get a nice picture with her and I know when I do get around to reading her books, I will appreciate the picture.