I always say I’m going to participate in Jamie’s End of the Year Survey every year, but then I never get around to it! Well, this year, I’m determined to get it done! You might not see this post until the end of the year/month, or maybe not even until the beginning of January (It is currently Dec. 3rd as I’m typing this right now), but at least I got it done.
2014 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 163 – I’m currently at 159 right now, but I’m reading two review books at the moment with another one after it and I’ve already read 2 of my 3 chosen “end of the year” reads. So, once I get through those review books, I’ll settle in with Mara Dyer as the last book I’ll read in 2014.
Number of Re-Reads: ZERO (shameful, I know)
Genre You Read The Most From: New Adult/Romance
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
Young Adult: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Such an amazing book and my favorite of the series so far. SO much happens!
New Adult: Fall From India Place by Samantha Young
A guy to rival my love for Braden Carmichael!
I’ve loved everything by Bailey, but this one left me with a serious book hangover.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Merciless by Danielle Vega
For all its talk about gore and horror, it really wasn’t that terrifying. Maybe because it’s a YA horror, there wasn’t much to be afraid of. It was still good, but I guess I was just expecting more.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
In the After by Demetria Lunetta
This one surprised me a lot. I really didn’t expect to like it all, but not for any specific reason. I just didn’t give it a second thought. Once I read it though, I couldn’t put it down.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
I don’t think I was much of a book pusher this year, sadly. Life kind of got in the way, haha.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best New Series: Tangled by Emma Chase
This series is all kinds of hilarious and I love Drew so much, even if he is an ass sometimes. Buy this in audio format! It’s the best.
Best Sequel: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
She deserves this title, too, because this sequel was outstanding!
Best Series Ender: Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
I love this series SO much and it was bittersweet to see it end. I definitely savored this last book.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
I’d have to give it to Sarah J. Maas again. Her writing is amazing!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
I SO didn’t read outside of my comfort zone this year, lol. I did read a bit more Realistic Contemporary and Adult Fiction though, so I chose from that.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Unputdownable: Risking It All by Tessa Bailey
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout
This is kind of a cheat because I’ll have to re-read this one next year since I’ll be hosting a Read-Along for the series on Deity Island, but I always enjoy re-reading any of Jen’s books.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd
I just love these covers so much. The dresses and the backgrounds. So pretty!
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Tangled by Emma Chase
I LOVED being in this guy’s head!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
That woman has a way with words!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Sadly, my life was not changed by any books this year.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Slammed by Colleen Hoover
This book was all kinds of awesome. I loved learning about Slam Poetry, the characters were unforgettable, and the story was captivating. Even my husband, who listened to the audiobook with me, still talks about this book from time to time. HE ENJOYED a ROMANCE novel! Lol.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
Ugh, I wish I noted down my favorite quotes and passages, but I get so lazy or forget to do it while I read. I should start tabbing things with stickies.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Holy Frigging Matrimony, A Tangled Short Story by Emma Chase
Longest: Cress by Marissa Meyer
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Huh, nothing comes to mind. That’s a bit sad.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Daemon and Katy
Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I love their relationship so much! Such an amazing couple.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Rowan and Calaena
Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Loved Jen’s take on the fae, her creation of The Order, and TINK!
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Someone needs to recommend a book to me for 2015, because I have none this year!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The perfect mix of Daemon Black and Aiden St. Delphi. LOVE!
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Rites of Passage by Joy Hensley
Such a surprising gem. I could not put this book down!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Warrior and King by Ellen Oh
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Tangled by Emma Chase
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Didn’t really read any emotional books this year.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Untamed by Victoria Green & Jinsey Reese
I wish more people knew about this series because it is all kinds of awesome.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
I guess I didn’t read any soul-crushing books this year.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkowski
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Strange & Ever After by Susan Dennard
There was one part of that ending that really drove me crazy. How could she let that happen?!
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I didn’t really discover any new blogs this year, but I started my journey on BookTube and found a ton of great booktubers. One of my favorites would have to be Priscilla from The Readables. She’s so adorkably awkward, I love her!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
I guess it’d have to go to Tempting the Bodyguard by J. Lynn, mostly because I was anticipating this book for the longest time and I really loved it. Even though I say things along the same lines when it comes to JLA, I still pay particular attention to my reviews of her books.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
This would have to go to my post about Coming to Terms with Never Having a Son. It was a pretty emotional post for me.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I didn’t get a chance to attend a lot of Bookish Events this year and I blogged about even less. But I had a great time at YA Fest, of which I was a volunteer for, and I can’t wait to attend next year as well.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Alas, this wasn’t a great year in blogging/booking for me. I was focused on more of what was going on IRL, with the pregnancy and school. Nothing really memorable comes to mind for my online life. Sigh.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
It might have to be this post here on when Pep Boys screwed me over. That was definitely not a good time in my life.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
That would have to go to my post about Dressing Up a Pregnancy Bump. I really loved putting this post together and styling my bump. I’d also love a little more attention to my Bookish Holiday Gift Guide on my YouTube Channel.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
This year I discovered Book Outlet, which is an awesome website that sells books for crazy-low prices. It sucks that you have to pay for shipping, but with their prices, once you factor everything out, it’s still cheaper than what you’d pay anywhere else.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
The only one I completed was my Goodreads Challenge. I surpassed it, actually, which I tend to do every year. I wish I had made a dent in my TBR Challenge, but I’m hoping to get to it in 2015.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Talon by Julie Kagawa
I need to finish her Iron Fey series, too, but I’ve heard good things about this book as well.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Winter by Marissa Meyer
DYING to see how this series ends.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
I’ve been so bad with keeping up with debuts lately, so I don’t know of any that I’m DYING to get to, but I’m excited for this one.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Every Last Breath by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I just HAVE to know who Layla ends up with!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Read all the books on my shelves that I haven’t read yet.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
The Return by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I’ve fallen for Seth so hard!